Our Impact: By the Numbers
We are committed to ongoing evaluation and continuous improvement of our programming. Our annual, third party evaluation consistently demonstrates that our services significantly improve the academic achievement, social skill development, and self-esteem of youth in our programs. Parents overwhelmingly agree, affirming in surveys that Y.O.U. provides quality activities for their children, and thereby improves their behavior and academic performance.
Among assessed youth who actively participated in our after-school and mentorship programs last year, here are just a few snapshots of our impact:
- Educational success: 71% of youth increased their grade point average (GPA).
- Social and emotional success: 95% of youth enhanced their coping and resilience skills and 91% improved their social competence based on a nationally recognized clinical evaluation tool called the Youth Assessment and Screening Instrument (YASI).
- Family success: 90% of youth reported an improvement in their relationships with their family.
We believe these metrics of success tell a compelling story about the broader impact we are making in the lives of our youth, our families, and our community.
- Our youth: Y.O.U. supports all youth in gaining the skills, opportunity, and confidence to participate fully and responsibly in the community.
- Our families: Y.O.U. ensures that all families have access to social and economic mobility. Education can be a powerful ladder of opportunity to a better life. But the achievement gap is so large that few families have the chance to benefit from this ladder; indeed, in the U.S. today, only 20% of all black students and only 16% of all Hispanic students leave high school college-ready. We provide tailored academic tutoring and social supports to ensure youth strive in school and go on to college. In this way, we help our families realize their dreams.
- Our community: Y.O.U. makes our community a happier and safer place to live. The hours between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. in the U.S. are the peak hours for juvenile crime, bullying, and experimentation with drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and sex. But for the youth in our after school programs, these hours are filled with education and recreational activities that improve their academic performance and enhance their self-esteem. We’re pioneers in transforming the “most dangerous hours in the lives” of youth into some of the most fun and productive hours.
Learn more about Y.O.U.’s mission, strategy, and leadership.
Learn more about Y.O.U.’s programs.